Founder and donor of the Folklore Collection of Mykonos is Dr. Vasilis D. Kiriazopoulos. As a professor of Physics and Meteorology he taught at universities in Athens and Thessaloniki, and the the Military Academy. Invaluable to his work was the help and support of his wife, Perry Kiriazopoulos. He founded the collection as well as the Museum of Greek Popular Pottery in Athens in 1974, with works by potters M. Avramidis and G. Migdalinos, in the exhibition space of the Tzisdarakis mosque in Monastiraki. He received many awards celebrating his folkloristic work, research and publications (primarily on pottery). He died in 1991, leaving all his belongings to the collection.
The public benefit foundation “Folklore Collection of Mykonos” was established in 1958 and included, along with the main building at Kastro, the Mykonos Farmer’s Museum – “Milos tou Boni”, and “Lena’s house”. The biggest part of the collection can be found at the Kastro house.